The Down Low
Showcasing the town of Water Valley, the 2017 course has more gravel, less traffic, a full-service BBQ party, and Red Bull action in the feed zone and start/finish!
This year, there are two ghastly flavours to choose from...
- The Scary Ghost (118km)
- The Friendly Ghost (78km)
(Almost) Endless Gravel
118 km of scenic and rolling terrain
110 km of continuous gravel
6800 ft. of climbing
The Alberta foothills offer stunning panoramas, but can also introduce rapidly changing weather. There will be aid stations, sweep vehicles, medical support, and the camaraderie of your fellow riders to support you, but portions of the course do not have cell phone coverage so in the event of an emergency or inclement weather, you’ll need to be self sufficient – Let’s do our best to reserve our sweep vehicles for those who can no longer progress under their own power. Although not mandatory, below are some gear selections you may want to take under advisement:
- Rain cape or wind jacket – please bring both to race, and we’ll advise at race start on which is recommended.
- Warm under-helmet beanie.
- Shower cap to keep your head dry and wind proof.
- Full fingered gloves.
- 1 tube, CO2 and/or pump (small pump recommended).
- Multi tool with/and chain breaker + quick link.
- Your preferred race nutrition to supplement aid stations.
- Additional items to evaluate on race day:
- Arm and leg warmers
- A base layer
- A fender
What type of bike should I ride?
Ultimately the choice of steed is up to you, but looking at feedback from last year, here are the bikes you wished your rode:
- Road: 3%
- Cyclocross: 24%
- Gravel: 70%
- Mountain: 3%
- What tires did should I ride?
We know that tires are a fairly personal decision, but again, polling the racers from last year, here's the rankings of rubber for what they wished they had on their hoops:
- Road: 3%
- Cyclocross: 52%
- Gravel: 45%
- Mountain: 0%